This project is read-only.

How To Create and Write STDF Files

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I still didn't spend much time with Linq To Stdf, but I'm wondering if it would help me create and write STDF files from original data.

I work at a tester company, and our tester does not support STDF. I've been asked to find a way for our software framework to write test results in STDF. Knowing that our framework runs on Windows, is it possible to use Linq to STDF to achieve that support?

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM

LinqToSTDF absolutely allows creation of STDF files from original data.  There are a few bugs in STDF generation at the moment, and we have been doing alot of internal thinking about the future direction of the codebase, but this is absolutely something I'd like to see tester companies looking at.

Is .NET already a part of your test program development/execution story?

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Great news! I hope you direct me to the right documentation that helps me achieve this in the best way knowing that I still didn't install LinqToSTDF and I only used Linq queries in a very limited application.

Yes, .NET is part of our framework, some components are written in C#.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM

What version of .NET are you using?

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM

We are using .NET 3.5

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Cool.  Is there a reason you chose an old version of the framework?  The good news is that the current version of LinqToStdf will work on .NET 3.5.  However, my plan was to move the next version to 4.0 (with an eye on support for 4.5) to take advantage of a bunch of stuff that was added in 4.0 around dynamic code generation and LINQ query optimization.

To get an idea of how to generate STDF files, today you just create an StdfFileWriter and stream your records through WriteRecords, or call WriteRecord on individual records.  There are a few bugs for some of the weirder records.  You can also use some of the record filters to make sure your file conforms to the spec.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Sorry for my delayed response.

When we chose .NET 3.5 it was the latest release back then. But it doesn't matter, I think what I'm planning is to create this feature as a plugin to our framework and bump up the minimum requirements for .NET if we need to. When do you expect to have the next release?

I'll try to put some time in getting something done for StdfToLinq and I'll update this thread with my progress. Thank you very much.